Nothing says summer quite like sipping on a delicious Ethiopian coffee. Known affectionately as the birthplace of coffee, Ethiopia produces some of the worlds best coffees which are known for their floral, fruit forward and delicate flavour profiles. Every year we seek out the very best of what Ethiopia has to offer, with Lisa travelling over earlier this year to meet some of the cooperatives that we’ve built relationships with over the years.
Of course, we’d always recommend brewing our coffee on your favourite brew method, but we’ve been experimenting with some creative ways to enjoy your Ethiopian brews. From chilled filter to floral signature drinks, it’s time to grab the cocktail shaker and get creative.
But before we get into the recipes, let’s take a closer look at both coffees.
This coffee was sourced from 563 Daye Bensa Farm members from the Shantawene area and Gatta Daye Bensa Farm. Daye Bensa micro-lots are a limited production, allowing the producers to focus on the quality of the beans.
When we first started roasting, coffee from the area of Jimma in Western Ethiopia was synonymous with poor quality and a natural dried process. Skip to 2010 and around one hundred local coffee farmers in Jimma banded together to form Duromina. As the name suggests, their goal was simple: to improve their lives.
Now that you’ve learnt a little bit about the coffee, let’s dive into some fantastic cold coffee recipes you can try at home.
Chilled Flash Brew
Our Ethiopian Odaco is not only incredible hot but also tastes amazing as a chilled flash brew. Flash brewing is the process of brewing your coffee over ice as an alternative to cold brewing. Let’s take a look at how to flash brew.
- A pour over brew method. V60, Kalita or Orea brewers work well.
- A server or jug to brew in to.
- Pouring kettle
- For this method we’ll use the Orea V3 for brewing.
- Grind 15g of Duromina or Odaco on a medium/fine grind setting.
- Add your filter paper to the brewer and rinse with hot water.
- Discard rinse water and add 50g of ice to your server or jug.
- Add your ground coffee to the brewer.
- Bloom for 30 seconds using 40g of water
- At the 30 second mark add another 40g of water.
- Add 40g of water every 30 seconds until you reach 200g.
- Your total brew time should be around 3 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy.
Our take on the classic whisky sour, but we've swapped out the whisky for our incredible Ethiopia Duromina. For this recipe you'll need to do a wee bit of prep but we think it's definitely worth it.
- Cocktail Shaker
- 75ml Ethiopia Duromina (Chilled)
- 35ml Lemon
- 35ml Earl Grey Syrup
- 15ml Aquafaba or Egg White
- Edible flower to garnish (Optional)
Now let's take a look at the method:
- Flash brew your Duromina over ice or brew hot & chill.
- Add 75ml of Duromina, 35ml Lemon Juice, 35ml Earl Grey Syrup and 15ml of Aquafaba to the cocktail shaker.
- Pre-shake for 15 seconds.
- Add ice to the shaker and complete a second shake for 30 seconds.
- Remove did and strain in to your glass.
- Add an edible flower to garnish.
- Sip & Enjoy.
Stay up to date with all our latest news by signing up to our mailing list.